Thursday, April 27, 2006

Draft time....

Why is it that I love the NFL draft so much? I mean, the Royals have the first overall pick and I don't really care what college pitcher they take. The Chiefs have been really crappy at drafting for a while, yet I still read all the scouting reports and dream about the different players we could take and hopefully improve.

I've most commonly seen us associated with defensive backs Tye Hill, Joseph, and Cromartie. I'm not extremely sold on any. That sentiment falls in line with the general consensus that there are only 18-21 players worthy of first round pick. Somewhere I found a list of players by round ratings, not where they would go. There were 45ish players with 2nd round ratings. We are at the 20 spot and have clear needs, so the likelihood of a reach is quite high. Peterson has done it before, and well it could happen again.

It was interesting to see however that Pat Kirwan on nfl.com has us taking Tamba Hali. This seems to coincide with Edwards faith that he can find CB talent outside of the first round. Also of note is that Ty Law is still out there. Granted, he supposedly got beat like a drum last year while collecting his interceptions. JD - our Jet's correspondent, what say you?

I'm sure every team is trying, but I'd love to see us trade down and add some picks if a top CB isn't there. I've given up on believing Carl can draft defensive linemen. Looking at the Patriots, I am jealous at how they always seem to have lots of picks.

4 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger JD said...

Unlike the baseball draft, where you have way too many rounds and way too many misses and where you have to usually wait 2-3 years before a player even makes it to the Show, the football draft has a pretty high rate of hits in the first couple of rounds, relatively speaking, and these players are all on the team from day 1. Football drafts definitely keep my attention as well. This year, I'm tempted to just veg in front of the tube for a few hours. I haven't done that since the early 90s.

Contrary or perhaps complementing what you said with regards to only 18-21 first round picks, I've also heard this is the deepest draft in a while. I guess the 45-ish player 2nd round number proves that point.

With 2 days left, I've read everything I can about the #4 pick, and yet, I'm no closer to figuring out who is going at #4 then I was a month ago. But then, if I knew who was going at #4, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

The words I hear about Ty Law have been generally positive. Most Jets fans were very happy with his contribution and thought he left a big hole when he left. Besides, it would only be natural for the Chiefs to pick up Ty Law. After all he is an ex-Jet defensive back. (re: James Hasty, et al).

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger JD said...

strange that my first comment did not register as a comment. Oh well. Less than 2 days til the draft!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger wallyts said...

Heh. Well at least the Jets have lots of picks. We don't have too many picks.

Re. Law, tempting but i think he's trouble.

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger JD said...

espn.com rumors also say that Tamba Hali may be picked by the Chiefs with their #1.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home