Saturday, August 27, 2005

SMEast: Western Division Review

Ok, so i'm tired of cleaning my room and justin has asked me for a division prediction. The Western Division is clearly the toughest and it may be hard for the 2nd place team to win the wild card. Let's start there. The 4 teams are Empire, Philly 40 Killers, Manwhore United, and DC Tarbabies.

Let's look at the 4 teams by position:
QB: With Mark Bulger, the Philly 40 Killers are the class of the division. Too close to call between Trent Green and the KC Offense vs. Kerry Collins who gets to play the KC Defense. I always underestimate Trent. The Tarbabies with Jake Delhomme and David Carr bring up the rear.

RB: Everyone has stud RB's so I'll be splitting hairs here. First, I have to go with Empire. Deuce and Davis are two proven stud running backs. My biggest concern here is depth. Behind these two, Empire has 2 rookies. Next, I'll take the Manwhores with LT2 and S.Jackson. The only reason I put them second is the unsettled St Louis line. If I had more faith there, they'd be first. Finally, it is too close for me to call between the All-Rehab team of McGahee/Taylor vs. the juju of Julius and Jordan.

WR: This is the easiest call. With two of the top 5 WR's, the Tarbabies have the best WR's in the league. Plus, with Owens and Chad Johnson, the owner may not even need to talk shit. His WR's may do that for him too. In second, the Manwhores again with D.Jackson and N.Burleson. Has DJack had a catch in the pre-season? Maybe tonight against Surtain. The Empire is third with the injured Porter and Reggie Wayne. Philly comes in last with a mixed collection including the bizarre pick of the draft: Antonio Bryant.

TE: This one is also easy. Tarbabies can catch passes, because Gates their TE rounds out the best receiver corp in the league. Too bad he'll miss week 1. Empire comes in second with McMichael and Franks. Two legit TE's.

K: who knows. it's quite the crapshoot. If I had to pick, I'd take Wilkins just because he has won me a championship before.

Def: Monte has cornered the market on NY defenses. But, no one has ever claimed NYC has good air defense. Matt's the pick here with the Steeler's D.

Final Standings:
The week 1 game of Manwhores vs. Tarbabies decides it between the two. With Gates out, the Tarbabies are vunerable, but Matt's team faces tough defenses up and down the lineup. Stephen Jackson goes off for a big game, but that is it. Philly 40 Killers do their best, but they can't drink a 40 in 17 seconds, so no go. However, if he trades some of his running back riches for a WR, watch out. Otherwise, Tarbabies win the division.

1 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Blogger JD said...

QB breakdown...agreed. Bulger is class. Green always puts up good numbers under the radar. I actually think that Delhomme will do a better job than expected, and even though Collins will probably rack up the yardage and TDs, he'll probably rack up the INTs as well.

RBs? Not so high on Domanick since it's not a receptions league. I'll go with LT2 and Jackson as the #1. McGahee/Taylor is scary. I don't think Jordan will be as good as everyone's hoping/expecting.

No comments on the WRs...except you just wait when Marvin and my oops pick of Anquan start cleaning house. And don't forget Rod Smith, he of the 2000 yards in 2001...NFL2K1 that is.

I'll have to disagree on the TE front. Gates, yes hands down. But Franks isn't legit. He hasn't been legit since 2002. Last year he was the 10th best TE. Two years ago, 17th best. If that's legit, then Antonio Bryant is legit.
McMichael should be ok though. Unforunately, like the Browns, there's no one to throw to him. I think Ben Watson has a better than 50% chance of helping Killers take the 2nd spot.

Anyway, all that said, I'll lean Tarbabies too because I think that if the QBs are rotated wisely, they'll do fine enough to let the receivers shine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home